The high performance organization
Inquiry into creating a 'performance driven culture'
You are to create a performance driven organization. What are some of the ways you will go about doing this?
Questions to be addressed:
- Does pay-for-performance always create a performance driven culture?
- What is 'high performance'? How do you define it for each level in the organization?
- How do you ensure high performance is indeed rewarded? How do you make the employee feel rewarded?
- How do you ensure the organization does not fall into the 'may all good people benefit 'trap where variable pay, rewards are doled out for sympathy?
- Will you also punish 'low performance 'or just not reward it?
- What ways will you reward high performance?
- Will you commit to a monetary reward or tie it to 'external factors'?
- How do you ensure measuring 'true performance' doesn't become an overhead in itself?
- How do you encourage innovation? Innovation entails failing fast. How do you ensure these failures are not treated as lack of 'performance'?
- If you promote for good performance, how do you ensure people are ready for the next level (and not just really good at the current level)?
Thoughts? Any good reads?
Published: 15 May 2016.